nav left side
nav right side
page left

Hathaway ScholarshipHathaway Logo


F.A.Q.’s - Frequently Asked Questions

Why should I use my Hathaway Scholarship at WWCC?
The Hathaway Scholarship gives students the option to pursue education at an institution that best fits their needs. We think WWCC is a great place to start! With over 70 degree programs, excellent faculty, small classes, a variety of athletic programs and student activities, and comfortable residence halls and apartments, we have a lot to offer. For years, WWCC has had a merit-based scholarship program that brings students with excellent academic backgrounds to the campus. Students who have to build some of their basic skills have also found a home a Western. Also, the cost of attendance is very reasonable, so your Hathaway Scholarship dollars will stretch further!

Am I a Wyoming resident?
To qualify for the Hathaway Scholarship, you must be considered a resident according to WWCC’s residency policy. Students who graduate from a Wyoming high school and/or whose parents live in Wyoming are residents. Please contact Registration & Records at WWCC with any questions.

I graduated before 2006. Do I qualify for a Hathaway Scholarship?
No. The scholarship program begins with the graduating class of 2006. Students who completed high school during the 2005-2006 academic year are included in the class of 2006.

I never took the ACT. Can I be considered for a Hathaway Scholarship?
No student may be granted an exception to the GPA, ACT, GED, or WorkKeys test score requirement. Register online at

I took the SAT. Can I be considered for a Hathaway Scholarship?
The SAT score can be converted to an ACT equivalent for consideration.

How do I qualify for a need-based Hathaway Scholarship?
Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) each year. The form is online at Contact the WWCC Financial Aid Office with questions.

Can I use a Hathaway Scholarship at an out-of-state school?
No. The Hathaway Scholarship encourages students to pursue education in Wyoming. Although the Hathaway Scholarship is not available for use out-of-state, students who attend an out-of-state institution may return to a Wyoming institution within two years and begin using their Hathaway Scholarship.

What if I am going on a religious mission or to the military before college?
Ordinarily, the student must begin using the Hathaway Scholarship no later than two academic years after graduating from high school. However, exceptions may be made for extended military or formalized religious service or other good cause. The Wyoming Department of Education is drafting deferral procedures.

What if I attend WWCC and then transfer to another eligible institution?
A student who receives a Hathaway Scholarship for attendance at WWCC and then transfers to another eligible Wyoming institution or the University of Wyoming may transfer the Hathaway Scholarship to the institution as well. Students may also transfer the Hathaway Scholarship from another eligible institution to WWCC.

Are there plans to change the curriculum requirements necessary to receive the Hathaway Scholarship?
Yes. A required “success curriculum” will be in place for the graduating class of 2011. The goal of the success curriculum will be to encourage proper college-preparatory coursework for Wyoming students. Information regarding this new success curriculum requirement should be available late 2007.

Please contact us with any questions.
Western Wyoming Community College
2500 College Drive
Rock Springs, WY 82901
(307) 382-1648 or (800) 226-1181


If you have any questions please feel free to contact us at:

page right
View Text Only Version View Text Only Version