Western Wyoming Community College, the fifth of seven community colleges in Wyoming, was established in the Fall of 1959. Through the efforts of a citizens’ committee, a campaign was begun, an election was held, and the College and the original district were created.
In September, 1959, forty students enrolled for college credit courses with five full time faculty teaching during the evening. The first classes were held in the Rock Springs High School building.
In 1960-61, the College moved to Reliance, five miles from Rock Springs, to occupy the former Reliance High School and daytime classes began. In September, 1964, the original district was expanded to include all communities within Sweetwater County, a new Board of Trustees was elected, and the official name of the College became Western Wyoming Community College.
Consistent growth of the College led to the inauguration of a $1,822,000 building program on October 4, 1966. On November 11, 1967, ground-breaking ceremonies marked the beginning of construction on a new campus, and completion in June, 1969. Growth continued. In March, 1973, voters approved a $1,780,000 bond issue to provide additional instructional facilities. The new vocational-technical education building was ready for occupancy in Fall, 1974, and the college center building was completed. In 1976, three residence halls were constructed to provide on-campus housing, made possible by a loan from the State Farm Loan Board. The College was granted accreditation by the North Central Association in April, 1976.
Again, in 1981, the citizens of Sweetwater County demonstrated their support for Western Wyoming Community College by authorizing a building project that cost in excess of $63,000,000. This major expansion created one of the most modern and beautiful community college campuses in the West. Students who enrolled in 1985 were the first to use new student housing, the Green River Center and the Technology and Industry shops. Between the Fall of 1987 and Fall of 1988, a new student commons area, classrooms and labs, offices, Children’s Center, studios, and theatre were occupied. A new chemistry laboratory was completed for the Fall of 1993. Construction of a fifth residence hall was approved in December, 1994, and completed in August, 1997. A sixth, 48 bed, residence hall was completed in Fall 2008. A compression technology building was completed in Spring 2007 and a diesel technology addition was completed Spring 2008. The seventh residence hall with 120 beds was brought online in Fall 2010. Building projects in FY14 include a new Wellness and Exercise Science complex and expansion of the gymnasium area as well as another technology building to support the oil and gas technology program.
In 2009 Western Wyoming Community College celebrated its 50th Anniversary.
Student numbers have increased from 40 in 1959 to nearly 6,500 in 2013. These figures include all students – varying ages and interests, enrolled in the credit, non-credit and extension programs. The number of full-time students enrolled for college credit courses has increased to over 1,300, and full-time equivalent students (FTE) has increased to over 2,600.
If you have any questions please feel free to contact us at: email@example.com.