- Registration & Records
- Academic Advising
- Academic Calendar
- Account Information
- Faculty & Advisor Resources
- Graduation Information
- Student Information
- Tuition and Fees
Registration & Records
Western Wyoming Community College
Top Ten List
“Most Important Things to Remember About FERPA”
10. The purpose of the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (FERPA) is to afford certain rights to students concerning their educational records. The primary rights afforded are the right to inspect and review the educational records, the right to seek to have the records amended, and the right to have some control over the disclosure of information from the records.
9. If asked where one can read WWCC’s policies on FERPA, the release of directory information, or how to restrict one’s directory information, direct them to the following references: Page 23, 2005-2006 Catalog and Page 12, Fall 2005 Schedule of Classes.
8. Because a student’s WWCC Student ID number listed in alphabetical order by the student’s last name can easily be traced to a student’s identity by referencing an alpha name list, grades may not be posted by the WWCC Student ID. Mid Term and Final grades can be checked using Mustang WebAdvisor or Mustang Cruiser so it is not necessary to post them. If you are posting assignment/exam grades you may use the last 4 digits of the social security number but the names must be scrambled out of alpha order.
7. “School Officials” at WWCC are defined as those members of the institution who act in a student’s educational interest within the limitations of their “need to know.” This may include faculty, administrators, classified employees, student employees and part-time employees who manage student education record information.
6. WWCC has designated the following items as directory
information. (This information can be given out to any requester,
provided that a privacy restriction has not been placed on the
Name Address(es) Phone Number(s)
E-mail Major Full-time or Part-time
Dates of Attendance Degrees/Awards Photographs
Weight & height of athletes Honors and Awards
Participation in officially recognized activities and sports
Class lists used within on-line courses
5. If a person is calling to get information about a student they should be transferred to Registration and Records (RSC) or the Main Office (GRC). If there is a privacy restriction on the student’s record we will say, “There is not information available on that person.”
4. SPECIAL DON’TS FOR FACULTY
To avoid violations of FEPRA rules, DO NOT:
At any time use a students complete social security number or
student ID number on public posting of grades.
Link the name of a student with the student ID number in any public manner.
Leave graded tests in a stack for students to pick up by sorting through the papers of all students.
Circulate a printed class list with student’s names and SS# or ID or grades as an attendance roster.
Discuss the progress of any student with anyone other than the student (including parents) without the consent of the student.
Provide anyone lists of students enrolled in your classes for any commercial purpose.
Provide anyone with student schedules or assist anyone, other than College employees, in finding a student on campus.
3. As an employee of WWCC you have a responsibility to protect all educational records in your possession. These include any documents in your office, computer printouts in your office, class lists on paper or on a computer desktop, computer display screens and notes taken during any kind of advising session with a student. Do not allow any students to view, read, or record another student’s SS# or ID while in your workplace.
2. Employees at WWCC who are parents, spouses, friends, or relatives of any kind, of a WWCC student, do not have access to information on these students beyond directory information (unless a signed Authorization For Release of Information is on file in the Registration and Records Office). Refer requester to Kay Leum, Registrar, if you feel pressure.
And the number one Most Important Thing to Remember about FERPA is:
1. When in doubt, don’t give it out! Call Registration and Records (RSC) or the Main Office (GRC), or Kay Leum, Registrar, directly at 382-1618, to review with her the specifics of your individual question or scenario.
If you have any questions please feel free to contact us at: email@example.com.